We are very clear here that homework matters. Homework has a positive impact on outcomes: students who regularly complete homework are far more likely to make outstanding progress in school.
The benefits of homework
- Instils the self-discipline of unsupervised study
- Develops organisational skills
- Develops independent learning skills, including the ability to solve problems and to overcome obstacles, leading to greater self-confidence
- Helps the teacher to assess students’ knowledge, skills and understanding
- Embeds core skills: literacy, numeracy, research and effective use of ICT
- Helps prepare students for the demands of rigorous key stage 4 qualifications and life post-16
Key stage 3 homework
At key stage 3, the expectation is that weekly homework is set for English, maths and science only. This will be done via Tassomai, and students will be given a weekly goal to achieve. They will be set questions based on the topic they are currently being taught.
Tassomai will be set as a weekly homework on Show My Homework (SMHW), with the SMHW mark book completed by the class teacher each week to show whether each student met their Tassomai goal for that week.
Other subjects are welcome to set homework on SMHW for key stage 3 if they wish to.
Key stage 4 homework
At key stage 4, the policy is that at least one piece of homework is set per subject, per week. This will be set and tracked on SMHW.
Show My Homework
Click here for more information about Show My Homework.