Our Year 8 curriculum is the final year of Key Stage 3; in Year 8, GCSE options are chosen. The GCSE options process takes place in March and is supported through an options evening and parents’ evening.
As in Year 7, Year 8 students have a core of five lessons of English, mathematics and science.
Learning for life (PSHCE) is taught through our intensive study day programme. Students are involved in practical workshops, including opportunities to meet guest speakers, based around the themes of ‘My Body’, ‘My Beliefs’ and ‘My Role in Society’.
Setting and student grouping
- Students are grouped according to ability in the majority of subjects, including English, mathematics and science. A student can be in set one in English and set four in mathematics: subject sets are not dependent on each other. Sets are created through end-of-year test scores and predicted progress scores.
- Students are grouped by mixed ability in technology and performing arts.
- There are six sets in each subject, with seven sets for English.
- Sometimes students are grouped by gender. This takes place in PE and sometimes in other subjects. Parents will be informed when this takes place.
Assessment of Year 8 students
- Year 8 students are set yearly target grades, based on Key Stage 2 scores, cognitive-ability test scores and end-of-year teacher assessments and exam levels.
- Your child’s report shows two grades in each subject: an exam grade for a recent exam or in-class task and an expected teacher assessment grade. This is the grade which the teacher predicts that your child will achieve at the end of the academic year
- There are two official exam weeks during the academic year. At these points of the year the timetable is suspended and students follow a bespoke exam timetable.
Year 8 key dates for parents
- Parent Review Day
- Guided Choices Evening (with careers and post-16 providers) takes place in the spring term.
- Parents’ Evening follows on and is timed to coincide with the options decision-making process.
Please refer to the calendar for exact dates.